Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jersey City: Johnnie Butler

I just saw this 1909 D380 Clement Bros. card of Johnnie Butler and realized it was the same pose as his 1912 C46 card.

I collect Jersey City player's cards and thought this was great.  This D380 shows Butler in his Jersey City uniform but as a player listed as playing with the Rochester NY club.  He played with Jersey City before going to Rochester and then went back to Jersey City.



On his C46 card, the logo was removed and Jersey City was written across the front of his jersey in the same manner as all the other Jersey City players in the set.  Now the question I have to ask myself it, "Do I add this D380 to my Jersey City checklist?" 

Yes, I'll add this card to my checklist.  Even though he is listed as a player for Rochester, he is clearly wearing a jersey with the Jersey City logo on it.  And, since there aren't that many cards that I have been able to checklist so far, this one will most certainly be going on the list. 

It'll be near impossible for me to ever get this card since D380's are so rare to begin with, but hey, if I got lucky enough to get my T215 Red Cross Tobacco Purtell, then I can dream of owning this one too.  Now, if only I could find the Pirate back that I'm missing...

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

No comments: