Friday, February 18, 2022

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project - Updates

 I've recently completed several updates to The Great T206 Back Stamp Project website.


If you haven't checked out my project where I document T206 back stamps, then you really should, especially if you collect prewar cards.  You can click here to visit the website and see the project.  

Basically, I document all the T206 back stamps I can find as well as all the ones that other collectors submit to the project.  Have you ever seen a T206 with a stamp on the back of it?  You can check my site to see if I have it documented yet, and if I don't you can send me a clear image of the stamp and I'll update the site.  

I like to give credit to anyone who participates by listing their name on my contributors page.  As of today I have 55 collectors who have assisted with my endeavor.  There are hundreds of examples documented so far with 65 individual pages that contain like stamps on each page where there are multiple examples of the same stamp.

All unique stamps are posted on the Main Gallery page, then when I have more than one of a particular stamp, I create a new page for that stamp and begin adding more as I find them.  As of today, there are 186 different stamps on the Main Gallery page.  

Several of the stamps have little write ups on their individual pages that collectors have submitted after they have researched the name in the stamp on their cards.  Some collectors are working on collecting multiples of the same stamp as well.

Personally, I collect the Purple Number back stamps like those shown above.  Most of the ones on my site are mine, but not all of them.  Another collector, Ed McCollum, collects all cards of Howe McCormick.  Ed currently has over 380 of Howe's old cards in his collection.  I was lucky enough to interview Ed a while back and that is posted on the Howe McCormick page of the project.

This has been a labor of love for over a decade now.  I started the project because I was really interested in T206s with back stamps and was collecting them when I started the project.  I've since sold off most of my stamps (except for my purple number ones) but still love to document them.

The project has gotten a little press over the years as well.  Sports Collectors Daily ran an article about me and the project back in 2008 which you can find here.  Wow, a lot has happened to the site since then!  And our friends over at PreWarCards.com ran an article in 2019 that you can find here.

If you have seen my project before, then one of the updates I did was to add larger images at the top of each page so the featured stamp can be read/seen easier.  Then I have all the examples below it four to a row.  This helps on many of the stamps where the smaller images were hard to see.  I also added several new pages and new examples on the Main Gallery.  

Let me know what you think of the project and, please, if you have any stamps that I don't already have documented please email thegreatt206backstampproject@gmail.com to send me an image.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.


No comments: