Thursday, February 24, 2022

1930's Western Strip Cards

 I know, I know, it's not baseball cards but I like them anyway.

There is a little known western strip card set from the thirties (I believe) that includes one very cool card.  The cards have a smooth surface, almost glossy, and are of a thicker stock than most other strip cards from the twenties. 

The specific card from the set that I really covet is the Jim Thorpe card pictured below.  It shows Thorpe in his traditional Indian head dress and is not a sports related card at all. But, this is a western movies set so why would it be?


This same image is also used on some Exhibit cards in different colors.  I wrote about Thorpe cards here where you can see the Exhibits as well as several other cards of his. The cards are about the same size as other strip cards.  They have a thin color strip at the bottom of the card that matches the background color and the actor's name on the front as well.

I recently picked up three cards from the set and am actively looking for more.  Someday I'll land the Thorpe.  Here are the three that I found so far.


If you have any of these, please let me know, especially if you're willing to let them go.  

I can't find much info about this set anywhere, so I don't know how many cards are in the set or a checklist of cards.  If you have any further info, please share it with me.  

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.




2 comments:

Jon said...

That Thorpe has gotta be an expensive card!

Anonymous said...

I’m extremely happy with this paint. High quality and well packed. It perfectly matches with my dining room. acrylic canvas painting abstract
The colors are perfect! I put it on my burnt orange accent wall,and it really brought out the colors. acrylic canvas portrait painting