Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Baseball Postage Stamps

Not everyone thinks of postage stamps when they think about collecting vintage baseball cards.

But they are actually sort of cool.  The first baseball themed baseball stamp isn't even US postage stamp.  It was a 1934 Philippines issue. 

1934 Philippines

In fact, the second, third and fourth baseball stamps weren't US postage either.  It wasn't until 1939 that the US issued it's first baseball stamp.  It celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the invention of baseball. 

The second baseball stamp is the 1935 Colombia issue.  This stamp is usually sold as part of a set that sells for around $1,000 so I don't have one of these yet.  But it is my second favorite design.  I like the scene and design.

1935 Colombia


Here are the third and fourth baseball stamps.  The 1937 Nicaragua set of four different colors and the 1938 Panama stamp.

1937 Nicaragua
1938 Panama
 
As stated the fifth baseball stamp is the first US issue.  Here is the 1939 Centennial of Baseball stamp.
 
1939 US Centennial of Baseball
 
The next stamps to be issued were my favorite, the 1944 Venezuelan set.  I love the colors in this set and the design of the stamp.
 


1944 Venezuelan
The next two are from 1948, one from Japan and another Nicaraguan stamp.
 
1948 Japan


1948 Nicaragua

There are several modern stamps after 1948 from many countries, but I just wanted to focus on these issues for now.  Maybe another post will showcase the later issues. 

I hope you like these stamps as much as I do.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one. 

1 comment:

Jon said...

I collect stamps, but I don't chase those of the sports variety. I've seen all of these many times over the years, but it's still fun to see them on a blog, and heck, maybe you'll inspire someone to start up a new collection :)