Wednesday, April 25, 2018

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 9

A PSA 9 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle just sold in the recent Heritage Auction.

Heritage Auctions just sold a PSA 9 1952 Mickey Mantle for $2.88M including the buyer's premium.  This auction was very interesting as many wondered if the card would bring $3.5M or $4M.  The last super high end Mantle to sell at auction was a PSA 8.5 and that one sold for $1.135M. 

I had my doubts that the 9 would reach $4M and seemed to be in the minority on a popular message board.  Some were even saying they thought it would bring $5M.   I thought they were all crazy.  I was actually surprised it went for what it did.  I was thinking closer to $2.5M. 


Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for the seller that he got what he did. 

Now folks are wondering what one of the three PSA 10's would sell for if they went up for auction.  Some have said $6M, while others think that is too low.  What then?  $10M? 

Personally I think these estimates are crazy.  I don't think people were holding out for one of the 10's and didn't bid on this 9.5.  So then if a 10 were up for sale, why would they push it so much higher?

I'm sure it would go for more than the 9.5, but not that much more.  What do you guys think? 

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a crazy one.

No comments: