Saturday, April 24, 2021

Custom Cards with Tanner Jones

 Custom Cards are nothing new to the hobby, but what Tanner Jones does is simply spectacular.

What do you do if you want a card of your favorite player that doesn't exist?  Or if you want a custom
card of your son or daughter.  You have a custom card made of course.  And there seems to be no better place to get one than to go to Tanner Jones from Texas.  His work is nothing short of amazing.

Tanner creates game used/relic cards, cut autograph cards, refractors even booklets.  

One of Tanner's favorite subjects is his favorite player, Jose Canseco.  Here is a custom triple booklet he created of Canseco.


As you can see, his work looks very professional.  Here is another angle of the same card.


I had an opportunity to speak to Tanner recently and get some insight into his work.


How did you learn how to make custom cards?

== Trial and error ... and a LOT of it!  I reached out to many custom card creators and no one really wanted to say much, so like a mad scientist, I spent hours upon hours, and countless dollars trying things.   


How long does it take to produce a custom?

== It really all depends upon the custom.   

How/Why did you start making customs?

== I started creating customs because my favorite player Jose Canseco didn't have any new cards when I first got into heavily collecting him as an adult.  I thought not having a base 2010/11/12/13 Topps card of him was a travesty!

How often do you make them?

== It really all depends.  If I'm inspired to, I will crack open photoshop and start creating something.   

Is it a job or just a hobby?

== It is just a hobby. 

Do you get requests from collectors?

== I do!  

What do you need from the customer to make the card?

== Mainly the relics to be used, along with a picture and text.  For example, I just did jumbo relics for a guy recently who sent me some of his old cleats he wore playing softball.  Another sent me relics from their wedding.  Still another sent me a cut signature from a check of their dad.


Cleats Customs

Do you have a waiting list?

== It really depends upon when someone reaches me.   

How do you create prizm/refractor like cards?

== That would probably require a tutorial to say, but to be brief, it takes printing on something clear, then sticking shiny paper behind it.  

What do you collect?

== Jose Canseco cards, high end low grade high eye appeal vintage, super key silver age comics, and custom transformers :)  

How long have you been collecting?

== I first got into the hobby in 1989, and it was my life for a few years, then I got back into it in 2006 or so, and haven't looked back! 

You had an amazing Jose Canseco collection.  What did you do with that?

== I sold off 99% of it, kept a few, and realized I still wanted to collect him, just not go after everything.  Since then, I've invested my money into vintage, comics, and have even bought out a few Canseco supercollectors! 

Do you still collect Canseco today?

== I do!  Just the super special ones.  I'm much more selective nowadays :)  

Where/How do you print your cards?

== Here is a tutorial I put together! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrVt4__mwcQ 

How does someone commission a card from you?

== They just ask me by emailing me at tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com 

What's your favorite custom card you've done for someone else?

== Oh, man.  That's tough!  Here are a few of my favorites for my collection, though:  Custom Canseco nameplate set (Jose wore each jersey, and signed each letter ... 7 teams / 7 letters), a triple booklet with a jumbo patch, bat barrel, glove and shoe, a few cabinet cards, and finally, a card made completely out of a piece of his game used bat.  Oh, and a card with me and him on the front with a video screen showing a video.   

Are you trained in art or are you self-taught?

== Self taught!  I love all things design.  

Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict:

   - What's your book about?

== It is about my journey in cardboard.  I am never short on words describing all the things I've experienced in this hobby.  

   - Where can someone get a copy?

== Here: https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Baseball-Addict-Tanner-Jones/dp/1731198469/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8  - or they can reach out to me tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com if they want a signed copy.  

   - What was it like writing a book?

== It was a labor of love.  It was never about selling it (though I'm happy people are buying and loving it!) Writing a book was always a bucket list item for me.   

What's your website where people can see your work?

== www.tanmanbaseballfan.com - I don't have a gallery really, but they are showcased throughout my articles I write.  I will also post them on Twitter @tanmanbbfan  


Well, there you have it folks.  A little closer look at Tanner Jones and his hobby of creating custom cards.  Please check out his book, his website and check him out on Twitter.  If you have an idea for a custom card you'd like done, feel free to email him as well.

Enjoy the hobby all...It's a great one.


No comments: