Tuesday, August 4, 2020

REA Summer 2020 Auction

The 2020 Robert Edward Auctions summer auction is going on right now.

I get excited each time there is a new REA auction, especially when the catalog arrives.  I, like a lot of other odd collectors, smell it when I open it.  It's hard not to smell it to be honest.  It's a very specific experience if you've never had one. A catalog I mean. 

So I spent some time perusing it and decided to post some items that I found particularly interesting.

Of course I wanted to showcase one of the major cards in the auction to be fair. 

 
This is a stunning 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente rookie PSA 9.  The opening bid was $100K and it is currently at $170K as I write this.  I had no idea this card was capable of selling for this much.  I'll be watching to see what it ends at. 
 

Then I came across a card I have wanted for a long time but will never own.  This is a 1887 N175 Large Gypsy Queen of Mike "King" Kelly.  I hope to some day own a King Kelly Old Judge, but the Large Gypsy Queens are much more rare.  There are only nine Large Gypsy Queen subjects known at this time.

 

There are also smaller Gypsy Queens that are the size of standard Old Judge cards but they are much more available than the large ones even if they are fairly scarce themselves.

Next up is a couple of related cards of one of my favorite players of all time, Ty Cobb.

These are 1910 E-Unc cards.  The first one has the diamond part of the card still intact.


I'm a big fan of rare oddball cards and I think these fit the bill.  The image is the same one used in e93, e94 and e98.  The other one is a blue example that doesn't have the diamond design.


I don't understand why the blue one got a number grade and the red one with the diamond was deemed an A.  I prefer the red one with the diamond, but of course would take either one.

Another of my favorite players, Smokey Joe Wood, is featured on this next one.

I've always liked this card for the portrait image of Wood. 

This is a 1910-1911 M116 Sporting Life card.

 
 
These next two are a couple of cards that you just don't see very often at all.  The first is the 1962 Salada-Junket Jackie Brandt Orioles variation. 


Brandt's more common variation has the team spelled "Oriole" without the s at the end.  This was changed late in the print run and very few examples are around with the s in the name.  This is a very scarce variation and is on most Salada want lists. 

The second rarely seen card is the 1963 Pepsi Colt 45's John Bateman card.  This is a super short print card and is very difficult to find. 


I'm currently working on this set and never expect to add this card to my collection.  The current bid for this example is $1,400.  It's a really nice example in great condition but it's a handcut card and only graded Authentic.  Still one of the nicer ones I've seen. 

In 2018 REA sold a PSA 3 example for $15,600.  They estimate there are maybe 10 examples in existence.  I just wanted to show it in case you haven't ever seen one before.

There are so many great items in the auction and I just highlighted a few here.  I strongly suggest you check out the auction for yourself and see some amazing stuff.  The link to the auction is here.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

No comments: