Sunday, March 22, 2020

Novel Coronavirus Covid19 Pandemic...and cards

The world has a new Pandemic and life has changed for everyone.

This is a vintage baseball card blog, but as my description of the blog above says, I can pontificate on anything I want here.  I don't think I've ever really strayed from the hobby before, but thought this was good enough reason to do so. 

This is more of an entry in a personal journal than a baseball card blog post.  It's my thoughts on this whole situation we are all now in and it's for me to come back to years from now and read and remember the beginning of it all. 

It is mostly stream of thought as I'm just writing as I think, so forgive me if I ramble or go off topic.  These are strange new times in the world.  There is a new virus that is infecting people around the world and killing them in droves and we have no defense for it.  The government has basically shut down the country.  States are closing all businesses that are not essential.  Everyone who can work from home is now working from home.  Tons of people are losing their jobs.  Restaurants are only serving take out or delivery.  Even my bank is closed down. 

The streets in NY are empty.  I live in NJ and even we have a stay at home order from the government.  We can only leave our homes for essential reasons like getting supplies (think grocery stores), going to the doctor, going to the pharmacy.  No gatherings are allowed any more.  There are no sports being played any more.  Baseball season has been delayed indefinitely and March Madness was cancelled all together. 

These are eerie times for sure.  Life has changed for the entire world.  People are self isolating in their homes.  We are supposed to stay 6 feet apart from everyone else if we do go out.  There is a shortage on all cleaning products like wipes, Purell, Lysol products and even toilet paper can't be found anywhere.

I've been working from home daily now.  Thank God I am able to do so.  And have left the house only once in the last ten days.  I look at people outside like they are crazy and they might have the virus.  How screwed up is that?  It's like an actual outbreak type movie these days.  People are quarantined who are sick. 

They've stopped all foreclosures on homes for now.  They extended tax day two months out (I think it's two months).  They have ordered utility companies not to shut off anyone's services due to non-payment. 

The plus side is I'm getting a lot of time with my wife and kids.  And (since this is a baseball card blog) I'm getting more time with my cards.  I belong to an online trading group and we have all still been sending out cards to each other through all this.  So it's nice to get some cardboard in the mail.  Just yesterday I got a handful of 1970's era high numbers from one of my buddies.  That was sweet.  I can't wait to check them off my lists later today.  

Stay safe out there everyone.  Stay home and healthy and do your part not to spread the virus.  Things will get better, I hope, and get back to normal eventually. 

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Things will get better, and the majority of us will end up being just fine!