Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Red Sun and Cabinet Photos

 I recently picked up a 1910 T226 Red Sun boxer and a couple of c. 1910 baseball cabinet photos.

The T226 Red Sun boxing set is a rare set of 50 cards that show up infrequently.  I was lucky to happen across one for sale recently and pulled the trigger rather quickly to add this type card to my collection.  

According to PreWarCards.com they were not widely distributed and were therefore not printed in large quantities resulting in their not being readily available today.

The set incudes Jack Johnson but the card that I would like the most from the set is the Abe Attell.  Someday I will land that card.  The one I did get is this Battling Nelson one.  I'm not disappointed to have Nelson at all, I'm just saying that I also really want the Attell.  I've added images of the Jack Johnson and Abe Attell below my Nelson.




The card has a nice front with no creases and minimal edge wear to the olive border.  The back is also clean which is a plus since the Red Sun back is an amazing looking back and collectors want to be able to see the Red Sun design nice and clearly.  It also looks great in the black SGC slab, I think.  





The other two items I picked up are these super cool c. 1910 era baseball cabinet photos.




While they are both a bit faded, you can clearly see the images of two baseball players in uniform with both wearing their glove on their left hand.  The mounts are in great shape too which is always nice on an old cabinet photo.  

I only have two other prewar era cabinet photos; one is a team picture and the other is of a Jersey City Skeeters player.  The Skeeters cabinet mentions the player is at a training camp.  It shows one player sanding up clearly wearing a Jersey City uniform while another player sits on a bench in front of him with a uniform that can't be identified.




This is the image on the Jersey City cabinet that is cropped to show just the photo.  The mount is heavily damaged but the image is clean.  The playing standing in the middle of the photo is wearing the Jersey City logo on his uniform.  

  



Here is the team photo cabinet that I have.  It has a nice clean image and the mount has some damage, but it isn't too bad and doesn't affect the photo at all.

These two new photos will make great companions to those others that I already had when I finally have a place to display them.  

Do you have any T226s or old prewar era cabinets?  Do you like them?  Let me know in the comments.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm sure that most folks didn't think that it was important at the time, but it sure would've been nice if more people had noted on the back of these photos who the subjects were.