Saturday, July 8, 2023

Blown Away by Generosity

 A very good collector friend of mine recently sent me some cards.

He has sent me cards in the past, some very cool ones that I wouldn't have had a chance to get otherwise for a long time.  I've traded with him and sent him cards to help him out too.  That's what we do.  That's one of the best parts of our hobby.  Helping others with their needs.

I went to mailbox the other day and saw a small priority mail box in it.  When I saw who it was from, I suspected he may have sent me a card that he showed me recently that I thought was cool.  And to be honest, I was hoping he didn't send that card because it would've been too much.  I couldn't repay him for that and would feel bad that he sent it.

Well, I got inside and sat down to open the package.  When I saw it was some post war vintage I was relieved that it wasn't that card.  I pulled the cards out and started to flip through them to see what I got.  Below is an image of the contents of the package.  I was more and more blown away the more I flipped through the cards.  


This guy is nuts!  Hall of Famer after Hall of Famer.  I saw the cards in order from top left to bottom right.  When I got to the Marichal RC I couldn't believe it.  Then the 1956s started and I saw Ford, Hodges, the Duke, then a friggin' Koufax!  What?!  Then I slid him out of the way and saw the Ted Williams and was floored.  My jaw dropped and hit the floor.  It's in such nice shape too.  They all are.  

I called him the next day to thank him and chat about cards in general.  I couldn't express my thanks enough.  This is something that the hobby needs more of guys.  I can't repay him for these cards and he knows it.  But he doesn't care about getting anything in return.  He is just happy to have helped me in this way and to see my excitement.  So I'll pay it forward on my end and help some of my other hobby friends or some random collector I meet online somewhere.  I'll send cards out to others who need them if I have them.  It's like hobby Karma.  What goes around comes around.  It's generosity.  It's kindness.  It's helping others.  Not expecting something in return, but just to help.  Just to pass it forward.  Try it and see how it feels to give someone something they need out of the blue.  It's a great feeling.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one!


4 comments:

Bo said...

Those are some terrific, big time cards! Very generous.

Jon said...

Wow! These are a collection unto themselves. For some people, this picture would represent their very best cards, so to get that kind of selection from someone, just because, really is quite amazing.

Andy H said...

Bo and Jon,

Yes, this was a special package to receive. There really are great people in this hobby and I was blessed this time. I hope it didn't look like I was showing off or anything, I just wanted to share that there are people like this out there in this wonderful hobby of ours.

Talk to you both later,

AndyH

Bo said...

Not showing off, it's a nice way to say thank you. I always do that on my blog and include the sender's site in case any reader (not that I have any) might want to trade with them. That is how I have found some trade partners over the years, from other blogs.