Tuesday, July 17, 2018

PM8 Our National Game Pins

PM8 Our National Game pins many times come attached to a paper backing.

I was perusing an old auction catalog today as I often do and came across a lot containing a group of PM8 pins.  It reminded me of some thoughts I've had in the past about these pins.  What are the paper backings that are very often found with these pins?

 
I've noticed something over the years.  These backings are rarely found in anything but NM
condition.  So rarely in fact, that I would never buy one with a damaged backing.  Even a slight crease would keep me away since it seems to be so easy to find them in such good condition.

These pins were distributed 80 years ago in 1938.  The pins themselves are rarely found in NM condition.  At least I am used to seeing them with damage including dents and scratches.  Many times they are so badly damaged that you can barely read the player's name.

So how is it that the pin can be so badly damaged but the backing is so darn perfect?

It's my belief that these backings were all made far later than 1938 and that they were not issued with the actual pins.  How hard would it be to print up a ton of these paper backings? 

Do the pins sell for a premium with the backing?  I'm not sure to be honest.  If they do I think the premium is minimal if anything.

They aren't matched up to any particular pin so it's not like you need the Dizzy Dean backing to go with the pin.  The backings are completely anonymous so you can interchange them with any pin.  All they say on them is, "Our National Game A Baseball Hero". 

They aren't large pins measuring only 7/8" in diameter with a tab at the top.  The tab slides through a slit in the backing and that is how they are held together. 

So what do you guys think?  Am I crazy here thinking these aren't original to the distribution period?  Are collectors already all over this idea and that's why the pins with backings don't sell for much of a premium?

Let me know your thoughts in the comments.  I'm interested to know if I'm onto something or if this is old news and I'm behind the times.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a cool one.

1 comment:

Bo said...

Maybe they're "new old stock". In '38 people weren't buying things to keep them in the packaging. The pins with the backings were probably never sold.