Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A new Abe Attell

I just got this new Abe Attell in the mail today and I'm excited about it.

I don't care that a lot of my posts are becoming recent pick up threads.  Hey, this blog is mine and I like to show what I pick up.  So here is my latest guys...

A 1909 Ogden's Pugilist & Wrestlers of Abe Attell.

 
I have several other Abe's but this is one of my favorites.  I am working on this set a little, I think I have three other examples at this point. 
 
For those who don't know, Abe was involved in the 1919 Black Sox scandal involving the Chicago White Sox cheating in the world series. 
 
Abe was supposedly a messenger between gangster Arnold Rothstein and the players of the Chicago club.  He was working with pitcher "Sleepy" Bill Burns to try to get Rothstein to financially back the fix.  Because of Abe's involvement in the scandal, his cards usually command a small premium.  The good news is that he is included in many issues of the day as he was a pretty good boxer too.
 
I'll share a couple other Attell cards if I ever get them scanned. 
 
I hope you enjoyed this card as much as I do.
 
Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

No comments: