Sunday, August 21, 2022

Starting a T205 Set

 I started thinking about what I want to collect these days and have landed on the T205 set.

This will be a long journey as there are many big names that I can't afford any time soon as well as several SPs and variations that cost a bit more than a common does.  

I've been working on the NY Giants subset for many years and have accumulated 15/22 (I'm not including the back variations that bring the true total of Giants to 24) of those so far.  In addition to those NY Giants cards, I also have eleven additional T205s bringing my grand total to 26 so far.  

There are 208 cards in a complete set.  However a master set is considered complete at 221 cards and even more when one considers the additional known errors.  I'll be focused on the 208 basic set for now.  After that maybe I'll expand to more cards.  

At 208 cards, it's not as large as the 524 card T206 set, but it poses quite a challenge of it's own.  There are 18 SPs in the set that are more difficult that regular cards.  Then there are a bunch of variations in the set as well.  

Some players, like in T206, have multiple cards in the set.  Hal Chase has three cards in the set and Eddie Collins and Roger Bresnahan have two cards each.  There are also twelve minor league cards in the set with HOFer Jimmy Collins being the key to those.  

There are three distinct styles of card in this set.  The National League cards have a portrait set against a colorful background and have a facsimile autograph at the bottom while the American League cards also have a portrait but it is set inside a diamond (either an infield or made up of bats) without a signature but rather a name plate or scroll at the bottom.  

Minor league player cards are some of the more beautiful cards in my opinion with several different variations in the design but all easily recognizable as a minor league card.  These have action shots as opposed to portraits.

American League                       National League                       Minor League

In many collector's opinion the T205 set is the nicest looking of all the early tobacco sets.  I chose the minor league subset as some of the five best looking sets of all time in a list I made back in 2020 here.

I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress on this set here on my blog.  I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Good luck on the build!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! My son and I are collecting the ‘53 topps set. The next set may be the t205. Still deciding.