Saturday, March 20, 2021

Recent Pick Ups and I'm Back (Hopefully)

 Hey guys and gals, sorry I went dark for so long.  I just wanted to come back with some recent pick ups and show my E98s.

I recently picked up a couple more e98s from a fellow collector who is helping me build my set.  He is working on the e98 master set of all 30 cards in all four colors and is so close it's amazing.  

So without further ado...


First up is this orange background Dahlen.  I'm really drawn to the orange backgrounds for some reason, I just really like the look of these.  

Here's a closer shot of him...


Next up is HOFer John McGraw also with the orange background.


This is a really clean 1.5 as you can see. Great image and color on this one.  Here's a close up.


So for those of you who may not be familiar with this set, it has 30 cards in the set and they come in four different color backgrounds: Orange, Red, Green and Blue.  It is considered and "anonymous" set as no there is no ad on the back that mentions a distributor.  Here is an example of the back of the card.


As you can see, a collector long ago used this back as a checklist of what he had and it appears he completed the set.  I kind of like this example for this reason.  But also apparent is the missing distributor name.  Hence the anonymous part of the name of this set.

Also included in this set is a stamp that appears on some of the backs that reads, "OLD PUT 5 ct. CIGAR".  


The "Old Put" cards carry a premium when sold as they are fairly rare.  

I wrote a little more about this set a couple years ago here if you feel like reading that post as well.  It goes into a little more detail.

In that previous post I only had five cards from the set but since then I've added a few more.  Here is where my set sits right now.  As you can see, I don't have any blue backgrounds at this point.  I do have a couple blues coming in though and will post those in the next few days when they arrive.


I could certainly upgrade my orange Tinker and the green Chase will also be upgraded some day, but that one is a Lionel Carter card so I'll be keeping it when I eventually upgrade it.  

I hope you enjoyed my latest post in five months.  I hope to get back to the blog going forward.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a colorful one.




2 comments:

Jon said...

It's nice to see a new post from you! I like the filled in checklist on the back of that card too. I'm guessing that a completed set would carry quite the premium these days.

Andy H said...

Thanks Jon! It's nice to be back and hopefully I can keep it going again.