Sunday, August 2, 2020

Recent Pick Ups - Boxing Edition

Well, I've picked up a few cards the last couple months and a few of them are boxing cards.

Along with baseball cards, I also collect prewar boxing cards.  Albeit a little more passively than baseball cards.  There are a lot of different boxing sets out there and some are really cool and others not so much. 

I'm currently working on 11 different boxing sets.  Here are some of my newer pick ups.

 
Abe Attell is my favorite old boxer.  He was a go between guy between the Chicago Black Sox and the gamblers and was a pretty good fighter to boot.  I love picking up a new Abe card.
 
 
 
This is an example of a Decalco Litho card.  There are twenty cards in the set and this is my third.  I find these to be difficult to come across and decent prices so I have happy to find this example of Irish Patsey Cline. 
 
 
 
This is a W529 Big Head version  There are ten of these and they are recognizable by there crude drawings.  These are also a bit more difficult to find and I'm thrilled to have this one.
 
 
 
This W529 example is also of Fred Fulton. As you can see it is the same pose as the big head card above but much better quality.  I love this card for the type at the top of the card and the clean cut. 
 
I picked up some other cards recently too, but wanted to focus on the boxing in this post;  I hope some of you are interested in these like I am.
 
Enjoy the hobby all...It's a great one.




1 comment:

Matthew Glidden said...

Hi Andy, that W529 Fulton is part of the multi-subject Universal Toy & Novelty Co set released in 1919 or soon after. You've got a portion of its "Universal Fighters Matching Cards Series" headline. Happen to own any others with similar text?