Friday, September 22, 2023

Recent Pick Ups

 Three great new pickups for me recently.

As some of you already know, I collect certain stamped back T206s.  These purple number back stamps rarely seem to show up and when they do, I always try to get them.  Well, a fellow collector recently reached out to me because he was selling off some of his stamped cards.  He had a couple of the purple number stamps and he knew I collected these specific stamps.  

We came together on price and I landed these two beauties.






These stamps are usually accompanied by pencil writing on them including other numbers and scribbles.  I have no idea what the numbers mean and have never been able to decipher any patterns with them.  

I don't know what the writing means in relation to the purple numbers either.  I just assume the numbers are the order in which they were acquired by the collector that stamped them way back when.  They are not stamped in alphabetical order so they aren't organized that way.  

The highest number I've seen so far is 122.  I have no idea how high the stamps go other than that.

The other pick up is this W565 panel of Schwartz and Stribling.  I needed the Stribling for my set, but there is no way I'm cutting this panel apart just to have a single of him.  This will remain a nicely cut panel.




I wrote about this set recently here.  There are only five boxers in the set and I am now missing just the Benny Leonard for completion of the boxers.  They don't show up that often, but I'll find my Leonard for a fair price someday.  I was pretty excited to have gotten this panel.

Enjoy the hobby all...it's a great one!



3 comments:

Bo said...

I love the typeface for the stamp, which seems to fit in very well with the era.

I remember Ed Abbiticchio, one of the first names in the Baseball Encyclopedia.

Jon said...

So, are you assuming then that all of the backs with this kind of stamp came from the same collector?

Andy H said...

Hi Jon, I am assuming this to be true. IF it's not, then I would consider it a very crazy coincidence that multiple collectors would have stamped them like this. The "stamper" would need 10 different stamps (0 - 9) to make the different numbers above 9 and I just never considered it a possibility that more than one collector would have them all. Also, so many of them (most of the ones I've seen) come with the other characteristics like the pencil writing of other numbers and scribbles. I always wondered what that was all about too.